The Blackgate Journal

This forum exists for you to share your stories of your characters at Blackgate Outpost and surrounding territory. All posts in this forum should be In-Character and Narrative, please keep the logs on your hard drive. (2011-2012)
T.A.Saunders

The Blackgate Journal

Post by T.A.Saunders » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:39 pm

by T.A. Saunders ©2011

Lhanys 30, 1322 AC

I have decided to keep a journal on matters involving the infamous Blackgate, of which the Blackgate Vanguard now presumes to be able to control. As a scholar, the rediscovery of this relic is profound to me and one could spend years studying the magic that makes it work. As an Asyndi, I am terrified beyond words that Humans are once again presuming to have the ability to control an Asyndi artifact.

I suppose the difference now is, that it is an Asyndi that will be controlling it.

To begin this documentation, I must begin with my opinion on matters, despite this journal being a study of the Gate itself and what we will be undergoing to make it both operative and safe. I feel, as an Asyndi that it should be destroyed. While events of 350 years ago have perhaps dulled from the memory of my superiors and cohorts, the horror of that time remains clear as the water in Blackgate’s harbor to my kin. We Asyndi, or rather I should say only most Quar`Vess, feel a great responsibility for those deaths, as it was our ancestors who made it. When the Windsong Republic came to Farwind for help in studying and possibly re-activating it, they declined the Humans, hoping that they would be too inept to sort its operation, let alone do anything with it.

Once again, my people did a fabulous fucking job of underestimating the Humans and their ability to be just clever enough to get their foot in the door, whilst being obtuse enough to not know when to close it. The events of 350 years ago left hundreds of people dead, thanks to the horde of demons that escaped, when the Spirit of Decay attempted to enter our world through it, thanks to a pack of his cultists. He was ultimately stopped by a young Lord Samuel Brookholte and others, but so many demons had managed to get through, there was simply no way to stop them.

He and his compatriots fled to the capital to get help, which never came. It was decided that only the handful of survivors that came with him and his companions to Windsong were the only ones left alive and the Blackgate was abandoned. Only last week we’ve discovered people did survive, only to be made the tortured amusement for demons that found their way amongst those who hid in the Hold’s basement. Quite literally buried alive, in a flagstone coffin left to turn upon one another when the food ran out and the fiends’ amusement reached its sadistic height.

Three hundred and fifty years and as I oversee the reconstruction of this place, the very doom that destroyed it once is on the verge of happening again. What makes people believe that they can control something that they couldn’t control before? Desperation? Do we truly need the Blackgate’s power to defeat Arisyeema? It is a question I ponder often as I look at its ever-shimmering black frame as it sits in the darkness, somehow blacker than the very night that surrounds it.

Time will tell I suppose. Now, Ysil the Destroyer, an Archfiend known for his plots against the mortal realm has his own dark agents toiling in secret to re-activate the Gate and allow their master foothold in this world once more. The last time Ysil tried to cross over, D`Mir was destroyed and the wasteland we know as the Burning Lands was made.

I am not optimistic about our chances, but at least I brought a bloody king’s ransom in rum, so if the world does burn, I’ll have something proper to drink for the moment of doom.

Tyrian Lancer uth Braegon
Liaison of the Blackgate Vanguard
T.A.Saunders

The Blackgate Journal

Post by T.A.Saunders » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:40 pm

by T.A. Saunders ©2011

Roshat 6, 1322 AC

Much has happened since my last entry, though to explain what happened, I will need to further explain the functionality of the Blackgate. Without this understanding, the explanation will be complete gibberish to somebody who isn’t some sort of magi or scholar.

The Blackgate is, for all intents and purposes a means to bridge dimensional space. The ring, when activated hovers a bit above the ‘bunker’ it rests upon and begins to spin. This spinning is an attempt to attune to a particular plane; this process can take several minutes, depending on several mitigating factors. Most times, within fifteen minutes or so, the Gate attunes itself then the bridging begins. This is noted by a brilliant glow from the runes that mark the Blackgate, though they’re a mere blur with the spinning it does.

The bridging is the most interesting part of the process, as it takes dimensional space and forces it together, much like folding two ends of a piece of paper together, so one may cross. This sort of magic is far more advanced than simply creating a personal, sorcerous gate, as it does not involve creating a simple tunnel between dimensions, but rather forces them together for a moment. This was done, I imagine to accommodate large troop and supply movements to advance themselves across Imarel quickly. If this is true, the ancient Asyndi before they fell and became the Shar`Vaire might well have flourished to parts of Imarel we’ve not explored fully and possibly migrated to other realms entirely, given what we have witnessed.

Knowing this, the incident of Third Day of Roshat will now make a bit more sense. It would seem a demonic spirit had influenced several invidivuals, then made them forget doing anything at all, in order to activate the gate under everybody’s noses. The part these ‘Children of the Bright Empire’ play is a simple enough one; all they needed to do is make sure those who were influenced had what they needed and had easy access to it, which included those who were supposed to be guarding the Key of Worlds, an item needed to activate the Blackgate. This assured they would not rouse suspicion whilst this demonic spirit continued to fuck about with Vanguard soldiers’ minds. Were it not for the diligence of Miss Claudia and my apprentice, Maere, I’m quite sure we would have been entirely blinded to these events and I would not be explaining things now.

When the Blackgate was activated however, it was done I strongly suspect incorrectly, causing the dimensional anomaly many witnessed on the Third Day of Roshat. There were some very interesting bits of technology recovered that Captain Langsford has asked we lock away for study later. More troubling is the realization that the Blackgate could not only be used to bring enemies here if overtaken, but the fact that it could simply be activated in such a way that it could cause a dimensional inversion, with it as the focus point. This could quite literally destroy all of Imarel, or at least leave it unrecognizable to any Imarel we would know, or be able to sanely comprehend.

I find myself quite unready to be lost in some bloody dimensional inversion.

T.A.Saunders

The Blackgate Journal

Post by T.A.Saunders » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:41 pm

by T.A. Saunders ©2011

Roshat 19, 1322 AC

This morning, during the meeting I normally have with Commander Langsford and the rest of the officers of the Blackgate Vanguard, it was made clear to me that I have the means of which the Blackgate can be activated on my person at all times. This is both a blessing and a curse, I feel since I’m studying the ‘Key of Worlds’ as its called anyway, in an effort to understand how exactly it is used to attune the Gate to different places and different dimensions, it’s a bit handy to not have to check it out to study it. However, the fact that there are still ‘Children of the Bright Empire’ lurking among us, gives me the rather uncomfortable notion that I’ve a target painted on my back.

I have taken to keeping at least one summoned minion along, just for safety’s sake and I have reluctantly begun carrying the sword I enchanted using the Wraith, Alexial. The sword herself is a treacherous thing, quite happy to kill me for binding her in this way, if the opportunity presents itself. I have decided the risks of that outweigh the risks of walking about unprepared for the trouble that is more than likely going to come my way, for carrying the Key.

On matters involving the ‘Key of Worlds,’ I am enroute presently to Farwind where I mean to make use of my departed half-brother’s rather extensive library. Kithanis, as I understand was always a bit of a bookworm, so I am hopeful that some knowledge can be gleaned there; more specifically, what exactly is this third sub-set of runes on the Key itself? One designates a place, another designates a dimension and the third is unknown to me. This also avails me of a chance to visit my nephew, Aerisaen, Kithanis’ chamberlain Asha and his curator of business affairs, Alexandre. It has been a good bit since I have seen any of them, though I write often. I am told by Asha that young Aerisaen is every bit as intelligent as his father and gets into quite a lot of mischief at home. I mean to introduce him to Shulin as well, who will be coming with me and I expect them to get along quite famously.

It is my greatest hope that any trouble this Key represents stays in Blackgate and does not follow me to Illuminous. However distinct that possibility might be, I still must avail myself of better research literature if I am to unravel this mystery. With Jun back at Blackgate, I am quite sure that if any trouble does crop up, she’ll be quite able to handle it, as will the other heroes gathered there.

T.A.Saunders

The Blackgate Journal

Post by T.A.Saunders » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:42 pm

by T.A. Saunders ©2012

Tiri 2, 1323 AC

I have had a most enjoyable holiday in Farwind, with Shulin, Asha and my nephew, Aerisaen. The boy continues to astound all of us with his quick wit and ability to cognitively process things. At two years, he is all ready reading, writing and completing arithmetic at surprisingly advanced levels, even for an Asyndi child. Aerisaen has certainly inherited his father’s brilliant mind, that much is certain, though I wonder if he will truly follow in his father’s footsteps? So often with a mind so sharp, it rather gains an edge against those who might not be as keen in thought. I am hopeful that having Asha and Alex around fosters a sort of understanding that the world needs Asyndi, but the world needs other people as well, to fill and brighten it with their collective strengths and wisdom.

In more relevant news, I have cracked the third sub-set of runes upon the ‘Key of Worlds’ and true to Mister Damian’s theory, they are in fact related to the ability to move forward and backward through Time. My brother, Kithanis who was an adept at Temporal Sorcery would have found this astounding; it was his research that allowed me to decipher the meanings of these glyphs and to discern more importantly, how this takes place. I am most concerned about this particular fact, as it seems to have revealed a secondary talent of the Blackgate itself, which is to draw in copious amounts of ambient Mana to fuel this particular function. This becomes a concern, in that it could be potentially used to do any number of bloody awful things, if left in the wrong hands.

These cultists of Ysil the Destroyer, known as the Children of the Bright Empire, who I have also come to learn had an association with the Shar`Vaire that murdered Kithanis, haven’t a bloody clue that the Blackgate is a massive Mana Focus and I am glad that nobody else knows that either…nobody alive, anyway. Aside of this journal, which remains secreted away at all times, there is no record of anybody even guessing this amazing truth at the outpost, though I worry books or journals containing this knowledge may have escaped with ‘The Twelve’ that fled Blackgate 130 years ago, when it fell.

What I am certain of is, we haven’t rounded up all of them despite Mister Nilharys’ very brutal campaign to flush them all out. Despite being quite well hidden among soldiers and civilians under the protection of the Vanguard, I cannot imagine there hasn’t been at least a few that took the cue from events last month and sought to retreat to safer territory, in order to regroup and manage a larger force. It would not surprise me at all, to discover a connection between such individuals, the gathering plains giants we’ve just received word on and the Northlander raiders that have been coming from Kasiq.

I depart now for Blackgate to make use of these findings and to further determine the end result of a temporal activation. Hopefully the sedative that I slipped into poor Shulin’s rum will keep her in a blissful slumber for the length of journey. She gets so upset when she sees she’s upon a moving airship.

T.A.Saunders

The Blackgate Journal

Post by T.A.Saunders » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:43 pm

by T.A. Saunders ©2012

Tiri 30, 1323 AC

After weeks of testing, I am confident that the Blackgate can be used safely to transport both materials and people across Imarel and Ishaela. The immediate benefit to this will be the ability to get large amounts of building material here in short order and get the outpost repair finished. None too soon, I fear with Arisyeema now sending the first of her brood to poke at us a bit, to test our resolve.

With the catastrophic failure at Kasiq, the Vanguard’s timetable has been advanced considerably. While there has always a chance that mission would fail, usually that failure leaves the enemy with a few wounds to lick themselves. This operation could not have been more poorly done if it was performed by trained monkeys and a bloody singing goat. Because of this, the Blackgate being ready is now more crucial than ever. We should have our defenses bolstered in a matter of days, thanks to this, rather than weeks; some fear that might not even be enough.

The next phase of my research is one I have dreaded. Commander Langsford, in light of our failure in Kasiq has asked me to research the possibility of weaponizing the Blackgate. We don’t even understand the secondary functionality it possesses to move through Time and why it was given that ability to begin with; trying to make something we do not absolutely fully grasp is a fool’s errand but one I am sentenced to, for this gambit we’ve engaged in with a woman who has had the distinction of out-smarting even my brother, Kithanis.

Going forward with this task there are a few possibilities I’ve come up with:

1. Opening the Blackgate and firing a concentrated barrage of weapons, such as our Sunstrike cannons into it, then having the barrage come out the other end to devastate an enemy fortification, without sacrificing forces.

2. Creating a ‘Ring Focus’ for the Blackgate, that would channel the energies used to make the dimensional bridge and us it to create a beam of dimensional energy. By doing so, we might be able to take say, a sizable chunk of a mountain and drop it on an enemy target.

3. Using the same Ring Focus mentioned above, forgo any matter transportation and simply focus the dimensional beam at a target with the intent on pulling it free of its foundations and simply ‘dropping’ it in transit. In effect, the wormhole created across reality would be collapsed and whatever was within the wormhole at the time, simply eradicated from existence.

Thoughts like these are dangerous ones; I do not mind saying that my great fear now, is no longer dying because I am the poor sod that carries the key to use the Blackgate; it’s the possibility that my legacy upon death will be creating a thing that makes the Demonic Incursion of 972 AC seem like a broken wagon wheel in comparison.