The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

User avatar
MurkTheJerk
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by MurkTheJerk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Marko shrugged a little at the suggestion of taking a smaller boat by Shamus and Woten, "Could be a wise idea, could spell doom. There are things in Miroan waters that would chill your blood until it was slush in your veins. Not saying there are any here, though, but I'm not counting on not running into anything. Trying to dispel the mist might work well enough. Make my job easier, anyways. Still, I am the adventurous sorts." Grinning a little, Marko nodded to Woten, "Yeah, ain't that the truth. I myself got caught up in matters once too. That's how I got my Lady Defiler here." Thumping boots against the deck.

The Captain nodded at Naia's order, however - she was the one paying him, after all - and turned back to his crew, wandering off to bark orders for them to circle the Lady Defiler around the mist, keeping about a quarter mile away from the outskirts.

Sometimes, the simplest actions could be the most useful ones, and Rei was looking at things the simple way. Indeed, the Vyssian perceived magic binding the mist. In fact.. it wasn't mist at all. It was an illusion, if both a simple one, and one cast by a potent spell caster. The knowledge that it was illusory did little to actually convince her brain that there wasn't something obstructing vision, however. Though to her perception she could see a bit better through the mist - well enough to make out the shapes of land masses jaggedly reaching from the water - her eyesight was still somewhat limited to about half a mile that she was capable of seeing shadows, and perhaps thirty feet of actually being able to see clearly.

When there circle was complete, Rei noted that there were indeed 'islands' circling inside the mists,the shadow of the larger 'main' landmass, and a broken ring of islands that were little more than jagged rocks that jutted outwards - even for a ship with a strong, intact hull, those would be a death sentence. In fact, she could see the remains of what she could only assume were a few ships that had met such fate over the years, though not many at all. The ring had three passes - one to the North, that was questionably tight, and two larger openings to the south-east and south west. Though Rei was no sailor, it didn't take one to know that those were the best ways in... mostly because they seemed to be the only way in.
6000 or whatever years of civilization, of invention and progress and developing ourselves so that we might stand above all over creatures. creating a world where someone can stick a battery on his dick and shit on his dog
-Dom.
User avatar
LunaticRose
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by LunaticRose » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:27 am

"A clever illusion. Very strong. I can just barely see through it." Rei stated with considerable respect in her voice for the Illusionist who crafted the barrier. "A South-East or South-West approach would appear to be our best bets, though there is an approach due North that is narrower than the others." She glanced over her shoulder and up at the Crow's nest. "I could try to navigate us from up there, but I'm not well versed in your terminology, so no laughing when I tell you to 'turn left'." She said with a smirk.

For all of the adventures she had tagged along on with her parents she could count the number of times she had been aboard a sea-faring vessel on one hand. Thankfully her Shei sense of balance and agility helped prevent sea-sickness for the most part, but she was eager to get back on land.
"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame." - Uncle Iroh
Crichton
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by Crichton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:47 am

Woten listened intently to the Captain and then Rei after Naia had spoken. "Illusions then...." He looked out to the mist, unsure about that but was aware of Rei's kind with illusions and lying at this point could mean her death as well. A nod of his head was given as they seemed to have a plan forming now. "Captain Marko, where would you have the rest of us who aren't casting spells or lending you their eyes." The Northlander was fully expecting to be told to stay out of the way, which was fair. Mostly he was assuring Marko if he needed additional hands, at least the Berserker would lend his strength, no matter how much his stomach was protesting and a little green he looked.

Despite the discomfort though, not once did he vomit.
Kiyodai
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by Kiyodai » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 pm

"It's an illusion, huh? Interesting...Good going, figuring that out." he said encouragingly to Rei, as he considered the issue himself. Unfortunately, the ranger didn't have much he could use to help deal with magic or illusions. After a moment of thinking though, he raised a hand thoughtfully. "It...May or may not be helpful, but those things you were talking about that live in the waters, Marko--maybe I could try and talk to some of them. If we can't see through the mist from above, maybe we can get a guide that can help us from below...? What do you think, Naia?" He turned to the crusader thoughtfully.
User avatar
Ryl
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 pm
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by Ryl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Considered Rei quietly for a moment, the young woman was one among them that Naia had not known and had taken on out of support of the conversations they'd had as well as a kind of joint sense of honour they had understood together. But after a moment, she glanced at Woten and far from telling him to stay out of the way "If the lady is going to mount the crow's nest to guide us. Friend Woten, would you be so kind as to assist her? If for any reason she is going to need to be braced or descend quickly?" Smiling at the two "Go aloft and see if you're able to piece out the route from above."

Turning her eyes to Seti "Please, do try and communicate, I will stay near you and assist as much as I can if.. there are misunderstandings from it. Guidance from below and an understanding of the land itself. Any information about activities on the island." If a vampire viper fish with bear claws lurched out of the water and tried to eat him.

To Shamus and Emma "I would still appreciate your assistance with the fog itself. If you cannot clear it, getting a sense of it. Maybe it will assist us in knowing what we're going to find on the island itself."

Speaking to Marco with a careful distance "Captain, you take your guidance from our friend Rei, if that is acceptable to you. I am not sailor, but I don't think we need to voice that we should make this a measured pace."
User avatar
MurkTheJerk
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by MurkTheJerk » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:48 pm

"I ain't going to care for shit what you call something, just call it." Marko barked, busied with other things for the time being and nodding briefly to Naia. In response to Woten, the Captain shrugged, then indicated Naia, "Whatever the Xos she says. I ain't in charge of you lot, but try not to get your dick caught in any rope or anything. If you do, clean up after."

An overhead view yielded little more than what Rei could see from the deck, besides giving her a wider view for her, which was ultimately helpful were she to navigate them through one of the breaks in the barrier rocks, however that would be of little help unless the group decided which way they were going, and ultimately took some action.
6000 or whatever years of civilization, of invention and progress and developing ourselves so that we might stand above all over creatures. creating a world where someone can stick a battery on his dick and shit on his dog
-Dom.
User avatar
LunaticRose
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by LunaticRose » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Rei gave Marko a smirk and a casual salute. "Aye-Aye Captain!" She exclaimed, and shot Naia a wink before scurrying up the ropes towards the crow's nest, calling out to Wotun as she did. "C'mon, big guy. You'll make a great shield from this damned sunlight."

Once she was in place she called down directions, guiding the ship through the dangerous waters up the South-West corridor, and hopefully being shaded enough by Wotun that she wouldn't get a sunburn.

"Turn left! Hard right! Wow, that fish is big enough to swallow you in one gulp, Wotun."
Last edited by LunaticRose on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame." - Uncle Iroh
Crichton
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by Crichton » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Whether Woten climbed up to the crows nest first or Rei did, it mattered not to him. It might matter to Rei though since Woten still wore his Drake-hide War-Skirt in addition the winter clothing he also wore. Cloak was left behind, it would get in his. It was likely left in the care of Naia or someone else in the group that was staying on the deck. Once in the crows nest he took a moment to appraise. One hand reached out to grasp the side or the wrapped around the mast pole, something to hold onto. The other hand gripped Rei's clothing.

Eyes squinted against the sun's glare as he looked out over the rolling waters around them. He suspected he would need to seriously de-ice his beard after this. When Rei spoke he smirked a bit. "I would give it heartburn, at the very least."
Hussam
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by Hussam » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Shamus looked to Emma and shuffled a bit. She was absolutely the more experienced of the two Seers but then again she was so... odd. He wondered what was her take on this mist, or illusion of a mist as it may be. Whatever it may be though, he was ready to follow her lead in carrying out Naia's directions to learn more of the mist.

Personally, he wondered if the mist truly was an illusion and whether it played some role in denying scries of the island.
Kiyodai
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Venture to Brumeveil Isle

Post by Kiyodai » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm

"Right then, here goes." Seti (with Naia in tow, and naturally Rowan as well) made his way over to the side of the ship, and began calling out to the depths in wildspeak, trying to get the attention of something that might at least be SOMEWHAT friendly. Of course there could be a vampire fish that would eat his face off, in which case hopefully Naia would be quick on the draw! [Wildspeak] "Hello down there! I'm sorry to bother you, but can any of you help us? We're trying to get through the fog, and it's a bit dangerous!" Rowan looks towards the water suspiciously--the shoebill didn't like this. Not one bit!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests